The Truth Twisters
Why are people so fascinated with cults? What is their lure? What is their hook? If the apostle Paul was distressed by the Greeks’ fascination with the newest religious fads (Acts 17:16, 21), he would be dismayed over the potpourri of false gospels flourishing today. Many seekers of truth are ensnared by Christian counterfeits … drawn and deluded by doctrines of deceit.
“He [Paul] was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols. . . .
(All the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there spent their time doing
nothing but talking about and listening to the latest ideas.)”
(Acts 17:16, 21)
Those drawn into cults are asking questions and looking for answers. But they are asking the wrong questions. Instead of, “Which group accepts me and provides answers for my life?” they need to be asking, “Will I accept the truth God has already revealed in the Bible and His answers for my life?”
What is the Message of Manipulation by Cult Leaders?
Characteristic of all cult leaders is the belief that they alone have the one true
message from God.
- They present themselves as infallible authorities, requiring absolute loyalty.
- They persuade through their strong, charismatic personalities.
- They prohibit individual freedom, expecting unquestioned obedience.
- They promote themselves as divine or as God’s sole agent on earth.
- They possess “new truth” from God, while perverting Biblical truth.
- They provide simplistic answers for complex problems.